Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Epson Stylus C84 vs MacOS X 10.5.7

I found that when I upgraded a PPC iMac 20" from MacOS X 10.5.6 to 10.5.7 I was no longer able to print to the USB connected Epson Stylus C84.

A call to Epson yielded the information that Epson does not support this printer on anything higher than 10.4.11 and that 10.5.7 breaks the Epson driver and that Apple would have to fix it.

Thank goodness for the FOSS Gutenprint Project.

I downloaded and installed Gutenprint 5.2.3, from here:

http://gutenprint.sourceforge.net/

And added the printer again from the Printer and Fax System preferences using the Gutenprint drivers, and to my great joy the printer is working again.

Leopard does seem to come with Gutenprint already installed but it does not appear to have been updated since Gutenprint version 5.1.3.

1 comment:

David A. Lynch, M.D. said...

Thank you very much for posting this. It worked like charm, and now my wife thinks I am a genius!