Monday, November 19, 2007

Really uninstalling Now Contact and Up to Date

I evaluated Now Up to Date and Now Contact for a customer a while back.  (my evaluation: a once-great product that has been eclipsed by webApps and is now surviving on locked-in users, tho since then they have announced NightHawk which might warrant another look) Ever since then I have had a contextual menu item in the Finder "Add to Now Up to Date" or something like that.

Searching for instances of "Now Up to Date" on my hard drive did not reveal where the contextual menu was applied.

Turns out that it is implemented in the GrabNGo.plugin

/Library/Contextual Menu Items/GrabNGo.plugin

Deleting this plugin has finally freed me from the contextual menu tyranny.  There were a couple of other contextual menu plugins for other software that I had evaluated -- Extensis Portfolio, iViewMedia Pro.  But at least they had names that gave some clue as to their purpose.

Who would guess that GrabNGo.plugin was part of Now Up To Date?

I've always been proud that MacOSX doesn't have the need for system Un-installers (a la "Add or Remove Programs" in Windows), but situations like these almost make your wish for one.




No comments: